Saturday, October 8, 2016

SATURDAY EVENING CONVERSATIONS - Author Bethany Crandell

AUTHOR
BETHANY CRANDELL

SATURDAY EVENING CONVERSATIONS is a Q&A feature. Sometimes it will be blogger interviews and sometimes authors. Other times it might be me asking my sister what she thought about a book series, or a chat with another blogger, or two about something bookly!
Joining me tonight in the library is Bethany Crandell, author of SUMMER ON THE SHORT BUS, and queen of snark. Seriously, if you are not following her on Twitter you should be.
There were so many Goodreads reviewers who couldn't separate the MC's actions from Bethany's intentions, and rated the book one star because they thought she was making fun of disabled teens and promoting bullying, that I was inspired to do my first The Reader's Court review section to refute their ratings. If you want to understand her motivation to write this non-PC story read the fabulous interview: HERE.
As with all my author interviews I asked Bethany to choose ten questions from Vanity Fair's version of the Proust Questionnaire, with the eleventh question being my choice of, "What is your motto." Let's go!
▪▪▪
Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Ridiculous. Dude. Rad. 
I use all of those words a lot. Too much.
▫▫▫
L.L. Mine would be... Oh shitballs!

Which talent would you most like to have?
I’d love to have a beautiful singing voice. One that doesn’t make puppies cry.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Cut myself some slack! I have no problem telling other people to relax and not to take it all so seriously…. But when it comes to me, nah. I’m super critical of myself and how I spend my time. I hate that I’m like that.
▫▫▫
L.L. I will tell you to relax, then. RELAX!

What is your most treasured possession?
My mom’s prayer journals. After doing her morning devotions, she would write her day’s prayers down in a spiral notebook. Each entry is dated going back at least fifteen years from before she passed in March 2013. In the notebooks she talks to God about her worries and fears, joys and celebrations, and because many of her prayers include me and my sisters (and our families) it’s a really lovely, and intimate, way of reflecting on different ups and downs in our lives and how faithful God was through it all.
▫▫▫
L.L. Beautiful.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Teaching math. (Apologies to all my math teacher friends. You are saints and gifted with talents I will never know)
▫▫▫
L.L. My son just changed his college major to escape more math classes. Ha!

What are your favorite names?
I love nicknames. I’ve had several in my lifetime: Beepsen Reeber, Beezer, Beez, B, Babylove, Rookie, and will still respond to any of them.
▫▫▫
L.L. And also Queen Of Snark! I guess that is more of a title, though. Heh heh.

What is it that you most dislike?
Braggarts.

What is your favorite occupation?
I would love to write for a TV show. Seeing my characters played out on screen, and grow over the course of many years (we’re assuming I’m on a successful show—ha!), would be amazing.
▫▫▫
L.L. I would watch it! Your style of realistic storytelling would be perfect for television.

If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
I’d like to come back as my dog, Chance (A 12 year-old chocolate Lab). Laying around all day waiting for someone to feed me sounds good right about now.
Or, maybe I could be Heidi Klum. I’ve never had a thigh gap…that would be lovely.

When and where were you happiest?
Anytime I’m at Disneyland. 
Or at the keyboard with no time constraints.

What is your motto?
This too shall pass.
▫▫▫
L.L. Wise words to believe in.
The want to thank Bethany for taking the time to peruse the Vanity Fair questions and for answering them for me. It was wonderful having her here in the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.